Thursday, November 19, 2009

Kyrie Eleison

- Music

Rich night for inspiration.
"Misery Business" by Paramore - A pop(ish) band that is surprisingly well accepted by the sorts of people who often sneer at other more mainstream pop acts. The Penguins message board at Hockey Future loves them (and the lead singer Hayley Williams), and my brother likes the band as well which is noteworthy from my perspective because his tastes typically run toward stuff he calls 'Black Metal' and bands that I've never even heard of.
It has a decent little rock groove and a little bit of Grrr but at it's heart it's just another girl antagonizing about a boy. I guess the 'twist' is that she's already got the guy?
But the part that I like best is when she sings "I've watched his wildest dreams come true, not one of them involving you..."
The 'dream' presumably involves him and her doing something naughty.... at least that's how I read it. It's got a note of cockiness to it that is at odds with her 'one of the guys' persona. If Gwen Stefani had sung that line I would've known she was winking at her supreme status as the 'attainable beauty', but Hayley Williams is not Gwen Stefani.

"Kyrie" by Mr. Mister - I was chatting at work with electrician extraordinaire Ed Bocz, he was telling a story about going to church when he was young and he mentioned that he'd never forget one particular chant from the service which went 'Kyrie Eleison, Christe Eleison, Kyrie Eleison'.
"Wait what did you say?" (is what I said)
Turns out Kyrie isn't just a girl's name and I had the meaning of the song's lyrics all wrong. It literally means "Oh Lord have mercy"
Ya learn something new everyday.

- Penguins

Talbot and Gonchar are both playing tonight. I think it's pretty interesting how the attitude of the team changes when Max Talbot is in the lineup. He's the kind of guy you can replace easily on a short term basis since his skillset is so modest, but I wouldn't want to go through a playoff series without him. Gonchar looks terrific so far. We always miss him when he's out.

- Ball and Chain

She seems to be pretty happy. She got a new purse that she was excited to show me and she seems to have gained some confidence in taking care of our little girl. Her pregnancy belly is almost entirely gone and she fits into her old clothes again.
And her happiness is contagious. It makes me feel good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment